Hi guys! My name is Maggie a.k.a. your new best friend. I love to bake and eat, so why not start a column to share my recipes and food adventures with ya’ll?! To kick things off, I will share my favorite cupcake recipe. (Usually I don’t share my recipes, but I’ve decided that you are pretty cool so I will share them with you. 🙂 ) I’m beginning with these cupcakes because they are easy to make, and even easier to eat.
5 large egg whites, @ room temperature
180 mL milk
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cup flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 + 1/8 tsp baking powder
3/4 + pinch tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, @ room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
3. Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
4. Sift the mixture at least four times to ensure fluffiness and even mixture.
5. Stir in sugar.
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
2 tbsp powdered sugar
3. Fill a piping or Ziploc bag with the whipping cream. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag.
4. Using a knife or apple corer, hollow out the cupcakes. Starting at the top, hollow them out halfway.
Coconut Buttercream Frosting:
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup butter @ room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1½ tsp milk
2 tbsp coconut milk
¼ cup shredded coconut, toasted(optional, for garnish)
Words and pictures by Maggie Ma